The use of drug testing in pain management has increased exponentially over the past decade. Urine drug testing (UDT) is a useful tool in pain management that provides valuable objective information to assist in diagnostic and therapeutic decision making. Definitive results of a UDT provide confirmation of the agreed-upon treatment plan (adherence/compliance). UDT can help identify possible illicit drug use and medication abuse, misuse and diversion. In pain management, urine drug testing is an effective tool in the assessment and ongoing management of patients who will be, or are being treated chronically with controlled substances.
- Confirm specific drugs a patient is taking or not taking
- Detect medication that may result in drug-drug interaction
- Support decisions about medication therapy
- Communicate with your patients about individual treatment plans
- Improve efficacy, safety and treatment outcomes